St. Joseph was patron of the 1769 Expedition from New Spain to Alta California, and also the titular patron of the original church at the original Mission San Carlos Borromeo in Monterey. The statue was donated by Spain’s Inspector General, José de Gálvez. It arrived on May 31, 1770. The child and staff are not original, but St. Joseph’s face and hands, as well as his tunic and mantle, have their original brilliant finish. The statue is still in the sanctuary of the Carmel Mission, where the founder, Blessed Junipero Serra, O.F.M., is buried.