Betrothal of the Virgin and St. Joseph

Description

81×41 inches, richly adorned with gold-leafing. Since the mid 1600s the painting has been placed above a beautiful side altar built then by the Cacherano brothers for the remodeling of the Cathedral. As Cathedral Canon in Asti, St. Joseph Marello (1844-1895) gazed daily upon this beautiful painting by Gandolfino da Roreto, or even more precisely Gandolfino of Asti (1475-1530). St. Joachim is to the left of St. Joseph and St. Anne is to the right of Mary.